Lost Dogs Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Lost Dogs Message Board » On Topic Discussion » General Discussion » New Lost Dogs Album » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page New Lost Dogs Album 2 Votes - Average Rating: 8.502 Votes - Average Rating: 8.502 Votes - Average Rating: 8.502 Votes - Average Rating: 8.50
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
MarkfromScotland MarkfromScotland is a male
Miniature Poodle

Registration Date: 07-18-2006

New Lost Dogs Album Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Thought that would get your attention...! Was thinking of what they could do next. How about a Cd of Classic Hymns done in the style of The Dogs...? Any suggestions for suitable Hymns...?

Take care, Mark.
07-31-2006 03:38 MarkfromScotland is offline Send an Email to MarkfromScotland Search for Posts by MarkfromScotland Add MarkfromScotland to your Buddy List
BigFiber BigFiber is a male
Chihuahua

images/avatars/avatar-54.jpg

Registration Date: 03-25-2005

RE: New Lost Dogs Album Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

You want a new album already? Smile

But since you asked...

It is well with my soul...

07-31-2006 08:06 BigFiber is offline Send an Email to BigFiber Search for Posts by BigFiber Add BigFiber to your Buddy List
Audiori J
unregistered
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

"Standing on the Promises" done huckabilly.

Thats a joke, but there are some that would be really good harmony style. Almost like a modern twist of those old gospel quartets.
07-31-2006 10:28
peawinkel peawinkel is a male
Golden Retriever

images/avatars/avatar-274.jpg

Registration Date: 03-24-2005

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

My Jesus I Love Thee
07-31-2006 12:20 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List
MarkfromScotland MarkfromScotland is a male
Miniature Poodle

Registration Date: 07-18-2006

Thread Starter Thread Started by MarkfromScotland
RE: New Lost Dogs Album Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

[quote]Originally posted by BigFiber
You want a new album already? Smile quote]

Yip, I am a consumer, I want to consume.

That is not a hymn, by the way.

I would love them to do when I survey the wonderous cross, probably my favourite hymn.

Take care, Mark.
08-01-2006 01:51 MarkfromScotland is offline Send an Email to MarkfromScotland Search for Posts by MarkfromScotland Add MarkfromScotland to your Buddy List
Chihuahua

Is it me, or do most "younger" churches not play enough (if any) hymns nowadays? I would say I'm a young man (34) and I miss the old standards. The church we attend is all about the praise, clap your hands, get happy music. I agree that happy praise music is important but throw me a bone from time to time...

Man, I feel old right now...

08-01-2006 08:00 BigFiber is offline Send an Email to BigFiber Search for Posts by BigFiber Add BigFiber to your Buddy List
trcf
Dachshund

images/avatars/avatar-257.jpg

Registration Date: 03-23-2005

I love their version of "Farther Along". Maybe "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing" or "Take it to the Lord in Prayer".
08-01-2006 08:07 trcf is offline Send an Email to trcf Homepage of trcf Search for Posts by trcf Add trcf to your Buddy List Add trcf to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of trcf: LeslieLet YIM Account Name of trcf: LeslieLet View the MSN Profile for trcf
pmac pmac is a male
Miniature Pinscher

images/avatars/avatar-123.jpg

Registration Date: 04-10-2005

quote:
Originally posted by BigFiber
Is it me, or do most "younger" churches not play enough (if any) hymns nowadays? I would say I'm a young man (34) and I miss the old standards. The church we attend is all about the praise, clap your hands, get happy music. I agree that happy praise music is important but throw me a bone from time to time...

Man, I feel old right now...

Our church (conservative Baptist) went to two services about 10 yrs ago... a contemporary one with praise songs, and a traditional hymn type of service. Along with that is the continual debate about one style versus another - fortunately for us, a good natured debate amongst members of our church.

JP Moreland (Love God With All Your Mind) wrote about how, in his opinion, both styles have their place... that modern praise songs seem to work well for emotionally connecting to God, and traditional hymns were better at teaching theological truths.

I love the musical style of modern choruses... but to be honest, I think so many are too repetitive and simple lyrically. Not all, but there's a lot of mediocrity out there (I sing in our praise team and am underwhelmed by some of what's suggested to play).

Now, to get closer to the subject of the thread... coincidentally, this past Sunday, three guys (guitar, mandolin, upright bass) did bluegrass rendtions of a bunch of hymns. I thought it was fantastic. I'd love to hear the Lost Dogs put their style on some traditional hymns - I think it would make a great worship disc....

08-01-2006 10:54 pmac is offline Send an Email to pmac Search for Posts by pmac Add pmac to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of pmac: Patrick McNamara YIM Account Name of pmac: Patrick McNamara View the MSN Profile for pmac
Chihuahua

quote:
I love their version of "Farther Along". Maybe "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing" or "Take it to the Lord in Prayer

Now we're talking!!

How about a traditional Christmas music CD?

Is that too cheesy? I'd love to hear them play some REAL christmas classics.

Enough of Rudalph, Santa and all that mess.

Smile )

08-01-2006 12:25 BigFiber is offline Send an Email to BigFiber Search for Posts by BigFiber Add BigFiber to your Buddy List
JohnL
Miniature Poodle

images/avatars/avatar-243.jpg

Registration Date: 04-17-2005

I would pass on a Christmas Cd, but I would pay good money to hear the Dogs do "Come Thou Fount"...
08-01-2006 14:52 JohnL is offline Send an Email to JohnL Search for Posts by JohnL Add JohnL to your Buddy List
JohnL
Miniature Poodle

images/avatars/avatar-243.jpg

Registration Date: 04-17-2005

I also thought of a great title this CD, but if I mention it I might get banned...
08-01-2006 15:33 JohnL is offline Send an Email to JohnL Search for Posts by JohnL Add JohnL to your Buddy List
MarkyMark77 MarkyMark77 is a male
Dachshund

images/avatars/avatar-304.jpg

Registration Date: 06-30-2005

Wink Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

It's hard for me to believe that there are people who still think that there has to be a designation between hymns, "choruses", contemporary, modern, blah, blah, blah...I've heard all the arguments and definitions, and I have deemed them to be, by and large, a waste of time. Thus saith me.

The only definition worth its salt would be how scripture and Jewish tradition designates between hymns, psalms and spiritual songs. I would call "My Jesus, I Love Thee" a hymn, others would not. That's why it's really a waste of time. Since the days of the inception of the church, people have written songs about God and to God to bring Him honor. Call it a hymn or chorus or whatever, it's all good. I do wish that more contemporary songs were more complex lyrically. There is so much more to discover. But, I'm not praying that God would "raise my ebenezer", either (from "Come Thou Fount.") It just doesn't speak true to me. Some of the other verses of that song, however, do. So, obviously, diversity is good in music, especially church music.

As for the topic, I would love to hear the Dogs do (hee hee, I said "Dogs' doo") "Blessed Be The Name Of The Lord" by Matt Redman, for example. But, I wish people would stop pushing hymns like they are canonical and Mom's apple pie rolled into one. I've actually talked to people who have an elevated view of hymns. I also know new churches who won't do hymns. Both positions are a waste of Kingdom energy and exclusionary.

The fact remains that, not only is there room for all of those different songs (old & new, complex and simple, etc.) but that you see in the Psalms all kinds of different writing as well. The next time someone complains about the repetition in "choruses", for example, have them read Psalm 136. The Bible is a lot more tolerant of differing styles than we usually are!

As for Dogs' covers:

In The Sweet By and By (an uptempo version with a great Robert Randolph-esque slide guitar would be cool)
Oh Happy Day (with Mike Roe vocal)
Take My Life and Let It Be

And the greatest hymn of all:
Jimmy Crack Corn

77's - 9/13/96, 9/17/96, 10/29/99; LOST DOGS - ?/?/1994?, 2/10/96, 5/24/96, 7/5/05, 6/29/07; MIKE ROE - 3/14/02, 6/29/07; MIKE ROE/MARK HARMON - 11/20/04 MIKE ROE/TERRY TAYLOR - 8/19/03; MIKE ROE/MIKE PRITZL - 11/18/05, 11/14/06, 6/29/07

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by MarkyMark77: 08-01-2006 15:47.

08-01-2006 15:46 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
pmac pmac is a male
Miniature Pinscher

images/avatars/avatar-123.jpg

Registration Date: 04-10-2005

quote:
Originally posted by MarkyMark77
It's hard for me to believe that there are people who still think that there has to be a designation between hymns, "choruses", contemporary, modern, blah, blah, blah...I've heard all the arguments and definitions, and I have deemed them to be, by and large, a waste of time. Thus saith me.

I've actually talked to people who have an elevated view of hymns. I also know new churches who won't do hymns. Both positions are a waste of Kingdom energy and exclusionary.

The fact remains that, not only is there room for all of those different songs (old & new, complex and simple, etc.) but that you see in the Psalms all kinds of different writing as well. The next time someone complains about the repetition in "choruses", for example, have them read Psalm 136. The Bible is a lot more tolerant of differing styles than we usually are!

Amen. but... if personal experience is any measure, it seems most folks have a strong preference for a certain style over another. Which is unfortunate if it's an issue of "this music is more spiritual than that music." But if it's purely a cultural thing - one style is simply more asthetically pleasing than another - it's hard to argue with.

I suppose in the long run, whatever is done with excellence, honoring and pleasing to God will endure, be redone in new ways, and stylistic differences become less of an issue (just like our desire for the classics to be redone in a Dogs style!)

08-01-2006 21:03 pmac is offline Send an Email to pmac Search for Posts by pmac Add pmac to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of pmac: Patrick McNamara YIM Account Name of pmac: Patrick McNamara View the MSN Profile for pmac
Dachshund

Yeah, I've got no problem with preferences. You can't help what you like. I like a pretty loud, rockin' worship time, but I've had great worship experiences with all kinds of styles. Proving that you choose how close you get to God. That's a good thing.

I just can't stomach the church music debate any more. So, I get a little..testy about it.

77's - 9/13/96, 9/17/96, 10/29/99; LOST DOGS - ?/?/1994?, 2/10/96, 5/24/96, 7/5/05, 6/29/07; MIKE ROE - 3/14/02, 6/29/07; MIKE ROE/MARK HARMON - 11/20/04 MIKE ROE/TERRY TAYLOR - 8/19/03; MIKE ROE/MIKE PRITZL - 11/18/05, 11/14/06, 6/29/07
08-01-2006 21:42 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
Chihuahua

Debate... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Sorry, I didn't mean to start anything.

I just want more hymns in church is all... Crying

08-02-2006 07:19 BigFiber is offline Send an Email to BigFiber Search for Posts by BigFiber Add BigFiber to your Buddy List
Audiori J
unregistered

I think the real problem is lack of balance. I get tired in a service if every song is "repetition in choruses" style that goes on and on. I also get tired if every song is a hymn. It seems to be a pendulum, where it used to be swung really far into the only hymns used direction...now a lot of churches have swung to the side of never using any.
08-02-2006 10:25
Dachshund

Hymns and Hers Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
I think the real problem is lack of balance. I get tired in a service if every song is "repetition in choruses" style that goes on and on. I also get tired if every song is a hymn. It seems to be a pendulum, where it used to be swung really far into the only hymns used direction...now a lot of churches have swung to the side of never using any.
Yeah, exactly. And not every "chorus" is repititious, and not every hymn is great exegetical poetry. It's like going to a Chinese Buffet and only eating General Tso's Chicken. You end up really missing out on everything that the music of the Church has to offer.

08-02-2006 21:48 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
Chihuahua

RE: Hymns and Hers Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:

quote:
Yeah, exactly. And not every "chorus" is repititious, and not every hymn is great exegetical poetry. It's like going to a Chinese Buffet and only eating General Tso's Chicken. You end up really missing out on everything that the music of the Church has to offer.

Now we're talking! General Tso's Chicken!!! Man, if we ate General Tso's Chicken every Sunday at church I would never complain!

Tongue Wink

08-03-2006 08:10 BigFiber is offline Send an Email to BigFiber Search for Posts by BigFiber Add BigFiber to your Buddy List
Dachshund

It IS the best food item ever!!!!!

08-03-2006 10:26 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
mo_jojo mo_jojo is a male
Greyhound

images/avatars/avatar-259.jpg

Registration Date: 06-29-2005

I love hymns. We need to sing them more often at my congregation. I like some of the songs/choruses, but I get dizzy and rather bored singing them too many times. I don't suppose that God is overly thrilled either. So I sing in the car instead.

Dogs' Hymn CD is a huge hit waiting to happen.

I suggest:

Nothing but the Blood

Power in the Blood (Mike could have a field day on this one)

When He Reached Down His Hand for Me (..I was lost and undone, without God or His Son...)

What a Friend (We have in Jesus)

This is Just What Heaven Means to Me.

Blessed Assurance

He Arose

The Old Account was Settled Long Ago

He Brought Me Out of the Mirey Clay

There's a New Name Written Down in Glory

The Old Rugged Cross

08-08-2006 10:02 mo_jojo is offline Send an Email to mo_jojo Search for Posts by mo_jojo Add mo_jojo to your Buddy List
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Lost Dogs Message Board » On Topic Discussion » General Discussion » New Lost Dogs Album

Virtual-Turk
Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.4, Developed by WoltLab GmbH